Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

A Problem With the SMILE Production Unit Prevents Re-Flashing

As promised in the last post, here's an update on the re-flashing issue. The SMILE, as currently manufactured by Global Scale Technologies, has the wrong uboot arguments. This prevents the simple re-flashing from the SD card. I learned about this from David Kordsmeier, who posted a reply to the question on the SMILE Google+ forum:
just got my 1st factory produced version, and low and behold, the uboot bootargs are wrong.  Should be: 
setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS0,115200' 
The fix is easy if you have the jtag box.  I'll post some updates as to what to do for folks who don't have a jtag yet (really everyone needs at least one).  Apologies, and thanks for your patience working with the community to sort out what's going on.
Since I don't have a JTAG box, I am currently stuck. More information when (and if) it becomes available.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm currently stuck with the same problem. I don't think I'll be able to find a JTAG cable in Zimbabwe. Damn.

    ReplyDelete